These tips are from Dr. Vinay Goyal, a renowned doctor who delivered a lecture on H1N1, its origin, and precautions we can all take. He is an MBBS, DRM, DNB (Intensivist and Thyroid specialist) having 20+ years of clinical experience.
H1N1, like other Influenza A viruses, only infects the upper respiratory tract and proliferates (only) there. The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/ throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it's almost impossible not coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as proliferation is.
While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent reproduction of the virus, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps can be followed!
1. WASH YOUR HANDS!!! With hot water and soap for at least 20 seconds, hum the ABC's to yourself and you're done!
2. HANDS OFF!! Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat, bathe or slap).
3. GET YOUR GARGLE ON!! Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don't trust salt). H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to reproduce and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents reproduction! In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. DONT underestimate the power behind this simple quick preventative!
4. BLOW YOUR NOSE!! Blow your nose hard once a day and swab both nostrils with Q-tips dipped in warm salt water! Brings down the viral population in your nose!!
5. BOOST YOUR IMMUNITY! With foods that are rich in Vitamin C (citrus fruits). If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.
6. DRINK UP! Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive.
All simple quick tips using household items to fight the flu bug!
Friday, October 30, 2009
Woo-Hoo! Here we go into the land of blogging. This is going to be an adventure! I started this blog because I often find myself finding articles online or reading through Self, Cosmopolitan, Shape, O, etc. and see some amazing articles and quick tips that I think to myself, "Wow my sister might LOVE this advice!" or "I bet my best friend away at college would find this useful.." or "Hmm Mom would love that recipe..." and especially this season..."Wow, good Flu-Prevention advice, everyone should try this!" but often it would slip my mind by the next time I saw them, and I know how often mass emails are discarded without even being opened... How annoying! So I thought, why not write a blog that everyone can check out and pick/choose from the menu?!
I'm am passionate about fitness and nutrition. It became a love affair of mine early on and has taken hold of me, now transferring into my career after college. It should be understood that the advice on my blog will stem from professional sources, and I will add my 2 cents on what has worked for me over the years.
What often motivates me to eat right or get a good workout in is OTHER PEOPLE. From a positive Facebook status about working out, to watching my boyfriend train hard every week, to seeing people fix a healthy meal. I think to myself, "Well, if they can do it, I can certainly do it!!" Seeing other people's success is so motivating, because it let's you know, IT IS POSSIBLE. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is impossible. So if this blog motivates YOU, I am absolutely thrilled! :)
Please feel free to share comments on tricks or tips that motivate you or any feedback you may have.
Can't wait to get this started!! :)
P.S. A HUGE motivator of mine is Gladiator's "Crush", MMA EliteXC fighter Gina Carano. She's a strong, fit woman, and NOT a stick figure! Her professional MMA record is 7-1. She's gorgeous, AND she can kick your ass! AWESOME!
check out her fan site!!